“Your knowledge of agency loans is encyclopedic. I would have you on my side any time.”
– Vice president, national lender
John primarily represents lenders that originate and sell multifamily mortgage loans to Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. John also represents portfolio lenders – including life insurance companies and bridge lenders – that finance office, industrial, and retail projects. In all aspects of his practice, he examines and resolves title issues affecting real estate.
Continuing to build on his experience, John works with clients to help close their deals in diverse markets all over the country, many with complex features such as targeted affordable housing, ground lease transactions, and joint ventures.
Moss & Barnett has become one of the leading law firms nationwide in representing Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae lenders. The firm has closed thousands of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae transactions spanning the spectrum of deal structures, including joint ventures, tenancies in common, ground leases, master leases, condominiums, phased developments, preferred equity, and investment funds. In connection with these transactions, John regularly addresses matters involving use restrictions, easements, development agreements, unique subdivisions and plats, and other title issues, from the routine to the atypical.
With many loans now being pooled and securitized, John also focuses on structuring single-purpose entities and examining the many legal issues necessary for compliance with Standard & Poor’s U.S. Commercial Mortgage-Backed Securities Legal and Structured Finance Criteria.
John has also represented life insurance companies and bridge lenders in transactions involving office, industrial, and retail projects, and routinely works on complex portfolio transactions where the collateral consists of many properties located in multiple jurisdictions.
Because he also represents borrowers, John brings insight from both sides of the table into negotiating loan documents, managing expectations, and addressing closing requirements.
- Represented a lender on the origination – and two years later the refinance – of a $200 million preferred equity/joint venture portfolio loan secured by 16 multifamily projects across the south-central and southeastern United States.
- Represented lenders in connection with ground lease mortgages with related real estate tax abatement features secured by multifamily projects in the southwestern United States.
- Represented a lender in the closing of a six-loan targeted affordable housing portfolio in a tax credit extended use phase secured by low-income multifamily projects across Minnesota and Wisconsin.
William Mitchell College of Law, J.D.; magna cum laude
University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, B.A.; with distinction
News & Insights
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Volunteer, Big Brothers Big Sisters (2014-present)
- Sponsor, Unbound (2008-present)