As a lead lawyer on Moss & Barnett’s multifamily and commercial real estate finance team, Betsy is part of a professional cadre focused on representing lenders nationwide who originate and then sell mortgage loans to Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. Betsy utilizes her 20 years of experience representing lenders nationwide who originate and then sell mortgage loans to Freddie Mac, which loans are then further sold and securitized in the marketplace. Her practice focuses on lender representation in the origination, closing, sale, pooling, and servicing of loans under Freddie Mac’s multifamily real estate programs.
Betsy’s experience includes multifamily housing, manufactured housing, affordable housing, condominiums, multi-property pooled transactions, and securitized assumptions and transfers of interest. She provides lenders with guidance and management for the development, negotiation, and documentation of standard loans and unusual apartment financing, including transactions involving 1031 exchanges, ground leased properties, tenant in common structures, and mixed used projects.
Betsy is a zealous and decisive advocate for her clients. They appreciate Betsy’s extensive familiarity with Freddie Mac’s multifamily products, and they depend on her to manage their transactions from start to finish while proactively addressing the legal, procedural, and business issues impacting each client. With her significant multifamily lending experience, Betsy brings a special confidence and insight to address the unique challenges in today’s financial marketplace.
Betsy also works with buyers and sellers in all phases of the purchase and sale of commercial and residential real estate – from negotiations to due diligence, document preparation, and closing. When representing landlords and tenants, Betsy negotiates and prepares retail, office, industrial, and warehouse space leases.
- Served as lead lawyer in closing hundreds of Freddie Mac multifamily loans across the country involving billions of dollars on behalf of our various mortgage lending clients.
- Served as lead lawyer for Freddie Mac pooled transactions in excess of $400 million secured by 21 multifamily properties in seven different states.
- Served as lead lawyer in closing numerous Fannie Mae loans across the country on behalf of various mortgage lending clients.
- Served as lead lawyer in representing buyers and sellers in the acquisition and sale of commercial, industrial, retail, and office properties.
University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, J.D.
St. Olaf College, Northfield, B.A.; cum laude
Honors & Recognitions
Moss & Barnett Paul Van Valkenburg Service Award (2013)
Minnesota Rising Stars (2008)
News & Insights
- Elizabeth ("Betsy") Kiernat Selected to Twin Cities Business Notable Women in Banking & Finance (2022)Twin Cities Business (April edition), 04.13.2022
- Midwest Real Estate News, 12.01.2021
- Midwest Real Estate News, 10.01.2020
- Moss & Barnett Advocate (Fall 2019 edition), 12.16.2019
- Midwest Real Estate News, 09.19.2019
- Proposed Changes to IRS Regulations May Limit or Eliminate Valuation Discounts for Family-Owned Businesses09.26.2016
- The Return of Seller Financing: Contacts for Deed as an Option in Today's Struggling Real Estate MarketFall 2009 Firm Newsletter, 10.01.2009
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Mortgage Bankers Association (MBA)
- Adjunct Board of Directors, Moss & Barnett (2008)
- Co-team manager, Hopkins Park Girls Hockey
- Classroom ambassador, Breck School
- Multiple Sclerosis Society, Magic Pennies Team Fundraiser
- Donor Committee and Development Committee, Struthers Parkinson’s Center
- Polar Bear Campaign Committee, Como Zoo
- Table host, Annual Fundraiser, Wilder Foundation
- Class agent, Reunion Committee, St. Olaf College
- Class agent, St. Paul Academy and Summit School