As a lead lawyer in Moss & Barnett’s multifamily and commercial real estate finance team, Betsy is part of a professional cadre focused on representing lenders nationwide who originate and then sell mortgage loans to Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. Her practice focuses on lender representation in the origination, sale, and servicing of loans under Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae multifamily programs.
Betsy’s experience – gained over more than 15 years of practice – includes multifamily housing, manufactured housing, affordable housing, multiproperty pooled transactions, and securitized assumptions and transfers of interest. She represents Freddie Mac lenders and has helped to close hundreds of Freddie Mac transactions in every product line. She also serves as counsel on loans originated under Fannie Mae’s Delegated Underwriting and Servicing (DUS®) loan product.
Betsy also works with buyers and sellers in all phases of the purchase and sale of commercial and residential real estate – from negotiations to due diligence, document preparation, and closing. When representing landlords and tenants, Betsy negotiates and prepares retail, office, industrial, and warehouse space leases.
- Served as lead lawyer in closing hundreds of Freddie Mac multifamily loans across the country involving billions of dollars on behalf of our various mortgage lending clients.
- Served as lead lawyer for several very large Freddie Mac pool transactions in excess of $100 million secured by portfolios containing multiple multifamily projects.
- Served as lead lawyer in closing numerous Fannie Mae loans across the country on behalf of various mortgage lending clients.
- Served as lead lawyer in representing buyers and sellers in the acquisition and sale of commercial, industrial, retail, and office properties.
University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, J.D.
St. Olaf College, Northfield, B.A.; cum laude
Honors & Recognitions
Minnesota Rising Stars (2008)
News & Insights
- Proposed Changes to IRS Regulations May Limit or Eliminate Valuation Discounts for Family-Owned Businesses09.26.2016
- The Return of Seller Financing: Contacts for Deed as an Option in Today's Struggling Real Estate MarketFall 2009 Firm Newsletter, 10.01.2009
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
- Mortgage Bankers Association (MBA)
- Adjunct Board of Directors, Moss & Barnett (2008)
- Co-team manager, Hopkins Park Girls Hockey
- Classroom ambassador, Breck School
- Multiple Sclerosis Society, Magic Pennies Team Fundraiser
- Donor Committee and Development Committee, Struthers Parkinson’s Center
- Polar Bear Campaign Committee, Como Zoo
- Table host, Annual Fundraiser, Wilder Foundation
- Class agent, Reunion Committee, St. Olaf College
- Class agent, St. Paul Academy and Summit School