Jodi advises businesses in the areas of real estate, corporate law, and labor and employment law. Having worked for many years as corporate counsel, she recognizes the importance of integrating legal advice with the client’s overall business objectives. Timely communication, teamwork, and practical legal solutions are hallmarks of Jodi's service delivery.
Jodi has over 20 years of experience as a commercial real estate lawyer, and her principal areas of real estate practice are:
- Commercial real estate development and leasing
- Commercial real estate acquisitions, finance, and dispositions
- Zoning and land use
- Commercial and corporate law
- Joint venture projects
Jodi is a trusted advisor to developers, owners, landlords, tenants, and contractors in the purchase, sale, leasing, development, and financing of commercial real estate locally and across the nation. She has significant retail leasing and development experience, and she has also directed, coordinated, managed, and completed complex joint venture projects from land acquisition through development and leasing.
Additionally, Jodi serves as outside general counsel to clients, facilitating business solutions and risk management consistent with each client’s overall business goals.
Jodi’s employment law experience includes advising clients and litigating in the areas of discrimination, wrongful termination, wage and hour disputes, non-compete/solicitation agreements, drug testing agreements, harassment, workplace violence, and executive compensation. She also advises private and public sector employers on risk mitigation strategies, including hiring and termination decisions, leave and accommodation requests, employment contract issues, employee handbooks, labor concerns, wage and hour compliance, personnel policies, internal audits, and providing discrimination and harassment training, bias training, and other management training.
Jodi also advises doctors, therapists, and other professionals on employment and licensing board matters.
- Representing Wall Companies and leading the legal team in the development of its Malcom Yards Project near the University of Minnesota campus.
- Represented large developer in joint venture transactions for the development of industrial parks.
- Represented United Properties in the acquisition and development of Tract C in the Gaviidae Center in downtown Minneapolis for its new corporate offices.
- Represented the National Marrow Donor Program and managed the legal team to develop and lease its approximately 240,000-square-foot, seven-story building with underground parking in the North Loop near Target Stadium.
- Represented Rick Born and managed the legal team in the acquisition, development, and leasing of the Boatworks Project in Wayzata, Minnesota.
- Represented two entities (whose affiliate was Lehman’s Garage) in the negotiation and drafting of seven leases with ABRA for the prior Lehman’s Garage locations in conjunction with the sale of the Lehman’s Garage business to ABRA, and managed the legal team for the complete transaction. Thereafter, advised on portfolio management and ultimately represented the entities in the sale of all seven properties.
William Mitchell College of Law, J.D.; magna cum laude
St. Cloud State University, B.S.
Honors & Recognitions
Minnesota Rising Stars (2004-2006, 2010)
News & Insights
- Moss & Barnett Advocate (Fall 2019 edition), 12.16.2019
- Midwest Real Estate News, 09.19.2019
- Member, former board member (2013-2014), Minnesota Commercial Real Estate Women (MNCREW)
Attend National Association for Industrial and Office Parks (NAIOP Commercial Real Estate Development Association) events
- Jodi enjoys being involved in her children’s sports communities – including soccer, hockey, and baseball – and performing community service projects for them. She also takes great pride in helping those less fortunate over the holidays in various ways.