As a litigation-focused business lawyer, Taylor understands the issues and challenges faced by the companies and professionals she represents. She is a trusted advisor, dedicated to achieving results that advance her clients’ goals, and she works vigorously to find creative and comprehensive solutions to their problems. While she stands ready to litigate if necessary, Taylor also strategically resolves disputes early, before litigation erupts, to serve her clients’ best interests.
Taylor works closely with her clients to ensure they receive reasoned, practical, and exceptional legal representation. Her areas of emphasis include:
- Employment-related disputes, including non-compete negotiation and litigation, breach of contract, discrimination, harassment, and retaliation claims
- Business and personal torts
- Professional liability claims
- Shareholder disputes
- Commercial disputes
Prior to practicing law, Taylor was a law clerk for the Honorable Elizabeth H. Martin in Minnesota District Court’s Tenth Judicial District.
- Defense of $8 million claim for theft of trade secrets, including employee disloyalty, breach of non-solicitation agreement, and aiding and abetting. Our client was charged after successfully recruiting more than half the plaintiff company’s workforce for a new branch of its truck parts company. Plaintiff contended that the employee “lift-out” irreparably damaged their North Dakota business. After a three-week jury trial in North Dakota federal court, the jury returned a defense verdict on all counts.
- Exoneration of Ponzi scheme auditor. Our client, a CPA firm, was accused of negligently failing to detect the fraud after the collapse of a massive Ponzi scheme resulting in $116 million in damages. After a two-week trial, the arbitration panel rejected the claim and awarded a total defense victory to our client.
- Successful resolution of a non-compete and non-solicitation dispute. Client was a top executive of a national retail grocery, supply chain, and wholesale distribution company. After leaving the company to take a position at one of its largest competitors, our client and his new employer were sued in federal court for breach of a non-competition and non-solicitation agreement, misappropriation of trade secrets, and interference with contractual relations. After persuading the court to refrain from issuing a temporary restraining order against our client that would have prevented him from working for the competitor, we successfully settled the dispute, and our client now enjoys unencumbered employment with his new employer.
- Settling a former shareholder’s claims. The majority owner of a successful company was sued by a former minority shareholder she had previously bought out. Our team of trial lawyers first persuaded the court to dismiss the employment claim, then resolved the rest of the claim successfully.
William Mitchell College of Law, J.D.; cum laude
University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, B.A.; summa cum laude; with distinction; awarded best undergraduate honors thesis
- North Dakota
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the District of North Dakota
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Honors & Recognitions
Minnesota Rising Stars (2014-present)
News & Insights
- Moss & Barnett Advocate (Fall 2019 edition), 12.16.2019
- Moss & Barnett Congratulates Its Lawyers Named to Minnesota “Super Lawyers” and “Rising Stars” Lists for 201907.05.2019
- Moss & Barnett Congratulates Its Lawyers Named to Minnesota “Super Lawyers” and “Rising Stars” Lists for 201807.05.2018
- Moss & Barnett Congratulates Its Lawyers Named to Minnesota “Super Lawyers” and “Rising Stars” Lists for 201707.05.2017
- Moss & Barnett Congratulates Its Lawyers Named to Minnesota "Super Lawyers" and "Rising Stars" Lists for 201607.05.2016
- Moss & Barnett Congratulates Its Lawyers Named to Minnesota "Super Lawyers" and "Rising Stars" Lists for 201507.07.2015
- Moss & Barnett is Pleased to Recognize Taylor D. Sztainer, Co-Chair of the 2014 Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid One Hour of Sharing Associates' Campaign03.20.2015
- Moss & Barnett Congratulates Its Lawyers Named to Minnesota "Super Lawyers" and "Rising Stars" Lists for 201407.07.2014
- Washington, D.C., 10.17.2019
- Accountants' Liability 2018 Presented by ALI-CLE, Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, Washington, D.C., 10.18.2018
- Moss & Barnett Fall 2014 Firm Newsletter, 10.01.2014
- Employment Law Legislative Update, 04.11.2014
- Spring 2012 Firm Newsletter, 04.02.2012
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association
- Voting trustee, Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid, The Fund for Legal Aid
- Lead co-chair of Associates’ Campaign, Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid
- Mentor, William Mitchell College of Law
- Vice chair of outreach committee, Minnesota State Bar Association – New Lawyers Section
- Parent volunteer, Heilicher Jewish Day School and Sabes Jewish Community Center Early Childhood Center
- Volunteer lawyer for “American Legal Profession” course, University of Minnesota Law School