Rick’s practice focuses on advising business owners and managers on buying and selling businesses as well as a wide range of corporate issues. He advises on acquisitions and dispositions, reorganizations, shareholder agreements, partnerships, financing transactions, and a variety of contracts. Clients value his skills in understanding their situations and tailoring solutions to fit their business needs.
As a substantial part of his practice, Rick also assists business owners and individuals in developing estate and business succession plans to address their personal, family, and business objectives. He integrates his clients’ business planning and estate planning goals in order to meet the comprehensive needs of business owners.
Rick is known in the transactions community for his analytical, drafting, and negotiating skills in major transactions. His deal list includes diverse transactions ranging from under $1 million to $1.2 billion, involving accounting, tax, environmental, intellectual property, liability insurance, valuation, and other issues.
Before joining Moss & Barnett, Rick served as vice president and general counsel of a substantial group of privately held companies. In addition to managing legal affairs, he oversaw banking, insurance, and tax departments and had extensive interaction with the engineering department and operations. Rick uses that insider’s view in advising clients and integrating legal advice with tax, accounting, finance, insurance, personnel, and environmental issues.
Rick has served extended terms on Moss & Barnett’s board of directors and previously served as chair of the firm’s commercial department. Rick sits on the Minnesota State Bar Association committee that advises the legislature on technical revisions to the corporate law statute.
Harvard Law School, J.D.; magna cum laude
University of Minnesota, B.S.; Phi Beta Kappa
Honors & Recognitions
The Best Lawyers in America (2008-present)
News & Insights
- Moss & Barnett Congratulates Our Lawyers Selected for Inclusion in “The Best Lawyers in America” for 2020The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2019
- Moss & Barnett Congratulates Its Lawyers Selected for Inclusion in “The Best Lawyers in America©” for 201908.15.2018
- Moss & Barnett Congratulates Its Lawyers Selected for Inclusion in “The Best Lawyers in America©” for 201808.15.2017
- Proposed Changes to IRS Regulations May Limit or Eliminate Valuation Discounts for Family-Owned Businesses09.26.2016
- Moss & Barnett Congratulates Its Lawyers Selected for Inclusion in “The Best Lawyers in America©” for 201708.15.2016
- Moss & Barnett Congratulates Its Lawyers Selected for Inclusion in “The Best Lawyers in America©” for 201608.17.2015
- Moss & Barnett Congratulates Its Lawyers Selected for Inclusion in "The Best Lawyers in America®" for 201508.18.2014
- Upper Landing Park, 180 Shepard Road, St. Paul, MN, 09.17.2016
- Spring 2017 Firm Newsletter, 04.06.2017
- Fall 2016 Firm Newsletter, 11.15.2016
- Employment Law Legislative Update, 04.11.2014
- Winter 2011 Firm Newsletter, 02.01.2011
- Fall 2009 Firm Newsletter, 10.01.2009
- Summer 2009 Firm Newsletter, 07.01.2009
- Minnesota State Bar Association