“I like to view the law as a toolbox rather than as a roadblock. My focus is on helping my clients build their businesses, lives, and communities using the tools the law gives us.”
Peter is an experienced corporate lawyer who primarily works in the areas of emerging growth, alternative investing, and mergers and acquisitions. He acts as outside general counsel for his clients, with a focus on creative, practical solutions. More specifically, his practice includes:
- Advising startups and emerging growth companies from inception to exit, often coordinating their many legal needs. His background as a securities lawyer lends itself particularly well to companies selling securities and raising capital to fuel their growth. Peter is passionate about and actively engaged in the Greater Minnesota startup community, and beyond.
- Serving as deal counsel to private investors, investment funds, and family offices by reviewing, negotiating, and assessing opportunities, particularly in the areas of venture capital, private equity, and other alternative investments.
- Representing buyers and sellers in all stages of the M&A process, with a focus on cutting through the legalese and helping his clients decide what matters.
- Helping a startup client close on $40 million of investment in a highly complex Series C offering, on a tight timeline.
- Working with a manufacturing client on the spin-out and sale of a major operating division to a strategic buyer and competitor, while providing a stable foundation for the remaining operations.
- Assisting a client in growing-by-acquisition, through negotiating multiple purchases in a roll-up strategy and advising on company structure and go-forward operations.
University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D.; magna cum laude; executive board, Wisconsin Law Review
University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, B.A.
Honors & Recognitions
Best Lawyers: One to Watch (2023-present)
News & Insights
- Moss & Barnett Congratulates Our Lawyers Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for 202408.17.2023
- Peter J. Kaiser and Taylor D. Sztainer Appointed Adjunct Directors to Moss & Barnett Board of Directors07.24.2023
- Moss & Barnett Congratulates Our Lawyers Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, and Best Lawyers "Lawyers of the Year" for 2023The Best Lawyers in America, 08.18.2022
- Moss & Barnett Announces New Shareholders: Bradley R. Armstrong, Linsday L. Case, Maggie H. Garborg, Peter J. Kaiser, John P. Kennedy, and Erik L. Romsaas03.02.2022
- 2023 Business Law Institute, Minnesota CLE Conference Center, 600 Nicollet Mall #370, 3rd Floor, City Center, Minneapolis, MN 55402, 05.01.2023
- 2022 Business Law Institute (Live In-Person Seminar and Live Simulcast Webinar), Minnesota CLE Conference Center, 600 Nicollet Mall, Suite 370, Third Floor City Center, Minneapolis, MN 55402, 05.09.2022
- Minnesota CLE Conference Center, 600 Nicollet Mall #370, 3rd Floor, City Center, Minneapolis, MN 55402, 08.26.2019
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association