As an intellectual property attorney, Garrett proactively works with businesses to distinguish their products and services and to position them for growth. His expertise ranges from trademarks, branding, advertising and marketing, to complex contracts and transactions, licensing and technology. His skills transfer across industries from financial services, to food and beverage, retail, e-commerce, medical device, and manufacturing. Businesses rely on his expertise to secure their competitive position and increase their market value.
In addition to his work on trademark registrations, Garrett also works to enforce trademarks through cease and desist letters, consent agreements, and administrative and court proceedings. He has successfully resolved disputes before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Garrett also has experience in all areas of intellectual property, including trade secrets, confidentiality agreements, copyrights, and litigation.
Before joining Moss & Barnett, Garrett practiced with a large national law firm. He is a member of the International Trademark Association (INTA) and formerly served on an INTA committee. He has been a speaker, author, and planner for the Midwest Intellectual Property Institute, an annual two-day event held in Minneapolis. He was formerly an Adjunct Professor of Law at William Mitchell College of Law, where he developed and taught a trademark class.
Garrett’s broad experience includes securing brands and trademarks of companies across numerous industries:
- Successfully defended the brand name of a national sporting goods retailer against a challenge from a competitor, and secured exclusive national rights to the brand.
- Launched an international trademark protection strategy for an entrepreneurial snack food company, resulting in international brand assets to position company for subsequent acquisition by multinational company.
- International trademark counsel to specialty personal care products company, securing exclusive rights for international distribution of products.
- Secured exclusive rights brand name for growing wealth management company, securing brand to position company for national expansion.
William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, Co-Valedictorian; Executive Editor, William Mitchell Law Review
University of Minnesota: B.A., magna cum laude
News & Insights
- 2020 Midwest IP Institute Live Webcast, 10.01.2020
- "Inside Minnesota IP: Meet the Inventors and Entrepreneurs," panel speaking appearance with client Angie Bastian of Angie’s Boom Chicka PopMidwest IP Institute, Minneapolis, MN, 09.2015
- Playing a Bad Hand: Strategies for Protecting Weak TrademarksMidwest IP Institute, Minneapolis, MN, 09.2014
- Planning Committee Member, Author, Speaker, Midwest IP Institute:
- Committee Member, Roundtable Host, International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Youth Baseball and Sports Coach, Minneapolis Youth Baseball Association, Lynnhurst Sports