“Law firm financial management should provide transparent client accounting, risk minimization, and timely, accurate management information in order to support the goals of the legal professionals of the firm.”
Phil supplements his leadership of Moss & Barnett’s management team with over 30 years of regional and international law firm experience in financial and general legal management. He directs the firm’s financial practices and policies and provides support to other administrative areas.
During his 20-plus-year tenure at Moss & Barnett, Phil has cultivated a team of highly skilled staff members who serve the firm in the following areas:
- Client intake and conflict resolution
- Client and trust accounting
- Financial reporting and analysis
- Cash management and banking
- Retirement and benefits management
- Risk management
- Tax and regulatory administration
Phil trains his staff to provide the best financial information and analysis possible. He also believes technology is a vital part of providing in-depth information. He has performed four complete financial software conversions in order to provide better and more complete information.
Phil has been involved in the Twin Cities’ law firm financial community for over 20 years. He was a founding member of the Controllers’ Group, a precursor to the Minnesota chapter of the Association of Legal Administrators’ Finance Special Interest Group.
Michigan Technological University, B.S., Business Administration, emphasis in Accounting
- Certified Public Accountant (inactive) – Minnesota
- Certified Legal Manager
- Chartered Global Management Accountant
- Minnesota State Board of Accountancy
News & Insights
- Association of Legal Administrators, Minnesota Chapter (ALAMN) – Member (1999-present); Salary Survey Committee (2018-present); Board of Directors (2015-2018); Finance (2016-2018); Communications (2015-2016); Co-chair, Communications Committee (2014-2015); Region 3 Conference Committee (2012)
- Committee Member (2022-present) – M&B Cares
- Vogageurs Conservancy, Finance Committee Member (2020-present)