In his family law practice, Jim Vedder assists clients with the resolution and settlement of the division of marital and non-marital assets, division of closely held businesses, spousal maintenance, child support, and custody issues. He brings a compassionate approach to difficult family law cases, in both alternative dispute resolution forums and litigation.
Jim has substantial experience in settling and trying complex marital dissolution cases and regularly advises in the areas of:
- Antenuptial, prenuptial, and postnuptial agreements
- Business valuation litigation
- Complex litigation and settlement of marital and non-marital assets
- Complex non-marital tracing
- Spousal maintenance and child support
- Custody settlement and litigation
- Settlement negotiations
Jim worked with children in numerous contexts over the years and is sensitive to the emotional challenges presented by difficult family situations. He works diligently to minimize these potentially stressful situations and produce favorable results for his clients.
Jim is a Fellow in the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and is a member of the Hennepin County Bar Association Board of Directors. Prior to joining Moss & Barnett, Jim served a clerkship for Hennepin County District Court Judge Mary DuFresne. Jim was listed by Minnesota Super Lawyers as a “Rising Star” for seven years; has been listed in Super Lawyers since 2012, including the Top 100 List in 2015; and is included in Best Lawyers for 2015. He has been a part of landmark family law cases in Minnesota and contributes articles on family law topics for professional journals as well as lecturing on a multitude of family law issues. Jim also serves as an adjunct professor at a local Minnesota law school in their Family Law Lab.
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association – Family Law Executive Committee Member
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
Honors & Recognition
- "Best Lawyers in America," 2015
- "Minnesota Super Lawyers" – Top 100 List, 2015
- "Minnesota Super Lawyers" – “Super Lawyers,” 2012-Present; “Rising Stars,” 2004-2011
- CALI Excellence for the Future – Legal Advocacy, 1999
- CALI Excellence for the Future – Professional Responsibility, 1999
- Hamline University School of Law, St. Paul, MN, J.D.
- University of Minnesota-Twin Cites, Minneapolis, MN, B.A.
Classes / Seminars Taught
- Adjunct Professor for Family Law Lab – Hamline University School of Law
- “Presumptions in Family Law: What Is Being Presumed?” – Minnesota Family Law Institute, March 2013
- “Procedural & Substance Fairness in Antenuptial & Postnuptial Agreements” – Minnesota State Bar Association, Nov. 2009
- “Antenuptial & Postnuptial Agreements for the High Net Worth Client” – Minnesota Family Law Institute, March 2009
- “Financial Issues in Antenuptial & Postnuptial Agreements” – Minnesota Family Law Financial Deskbook CLE, May 2008
- In re Marriage of Li-Kuehne, A07-807 (Minn. Ct. App. 2007)
- Grimes v. Grimes, A06-1047 (Minn. Ct. App. 2007)
- Murra v. Murra, A05-2547 (Minn. Ct. App. 2006)
- Fruehling v. Fruehling, A04-302 (Minn. Ct. App. 2004)
- In re Benshoof, CO-02-525 (Minn. Ct. App. 2002)
- Geske v. Marcolina, 642 N.W. 2d 62 (Minn. App. 2002)