“I take a service-oriented approach to effectively resolve legal issues and smoothly close complex transactions.”
Bill focuses his practice on multifamily and commercial real estate finance. He represents financial institutions throughout the United States in complex transactions involving a variety of property types, including multifamily housing projects, office buildings, hotels, retail shopping centers, warehouses, and industrial facilities. Additionally, Bill advises clients on real estate acquisitions, sales, and leasing transactions.
Moss & Barnett has become one of the leading law firms nationwide in representing Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae lenders. The firm has closed thousands of these loans in every product line, including:
- Portfolio and capital markets executions
- Credit facilities and other structured transactions
- Tax-exempt bond and other targeted affordable housing programs
- Seniors housing
- Manufactured housing
- Small-balance loans
These transactions span the spectrum of deal structures, including joint ventures, tenancies-in-common, ground leases, master leases, condominiums, phased developments, preferred equity, and investment funds. Bill maintains a database of analysis and documentation and has developed efficiencies to close a large volume of transactions.
With many loans now being pooled and securitized, Bill focuses on structuring single-purpose entities and examining the many legal issues necessary for compliance with Standard & Poor’s U.S. Commercial Mortgage-Backed Securities Legal and Structured Finance Criteria.
Commercial Real Estate Finance
Bill has considerable experience representing life insurance companies, bridge lenders, and banks in transactions involving office, industrial, hospitality, retail, and multifamily projects.
These transactions include construction, mini-perm, and permanent loans as well as tax-exempt bond financing. He routinely works on complex portfolio transactions where the collateral consists of many properties located in multiple jurisdictions.
Acquisitions, Sales, and Leasing
Bill’s counsel in this area includes negotiation and preparation of letters of intent, purchase agreements, leases, and closing documents as well as examination of title and other legal due diligence. He regularly addresses matters involving use restrictions, easements, development agreements, and unique subdivisions and plats.
Prior to joining Moss & Barnett, Bill worked in the commercial mortgage lending department of a Fortune 500 life insurance company. There, he handled a full range of servicing matters, including loan assumptions, transfers of ownership, easements, leases, condemnations, and partial releases. Bill also has handled note sales, forbearances, workouts, and restructurings for sub-performing and non-performing loans.
- Led due diligence review for the closing of a portfolio loan transaction involving five shopping centers located in multiple jurisdictions.
- Represented life insurance company lender in the financing of a new distribution center for a major online retailer.
- Advised servicer on a transfer of ownership involving seven loans that were securitized in multiple pools.
University of Nebraska College of Law, J.D.; with distinction
St. Cloud State University, B.S.; International Business; summa cum laude
News & Insights
- Midwest Real Estate News, 09.19.2019
- Multifamily and Commercial Real Estate Finance Team Expands with Arrivals of Shannon E. Cook and William J. Straus07.26.2018
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association – Real Property Law Section
- Hennepin County Bar Association