John primarily represents lenders in the financing and refinancing of multifamily housing projects throughout the United States, involving loans that are then sold to secondary market investors such as Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. He principally focuses his practice on representing lenders in financing transactions under Freddie Mac’s Small Balance Loan (SBL) program. John’s responsiveness and dedication to detail provide the level of support that his clients need to be successful in financing under this program.
John also has extensive experience in examining real property title and the many contentious issues that may arise in owning or financing real property. He is adept at finding real-world solutions to address these complicated matters and effectively helping clients reach favorable results.
Moss & Barnett has become one of the leading law firms nationwide in representing Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae lenders. The firm has closed thousands of these loans in every product line, including:
- Portfolio and capital markets executions
- Credit facilities and other structured transactions
- Tax-exempt bond and other targeted affordable housing programs
- Seniors housing
- Manufactured housing
- Small-balance loans
These transactions span the spectrum of deal structures, including joint ventures, tenancies-in-common, ground leases, master leases, condominiums, phased developments, preferred equity, and investment funds. John maintains a database of analysis and documentation and has developed efficiencies to close a large volume of transactions.
With many loans now being pooled and securitized, John focuses on structuring single-purpose entities and examining the many legal issues necessary for compliance with Standard & Poor’s U.S. Commercial Mortgage-Backed Securities (CMBS) Legal and Structured Finance Criteria.
- Represented lender in securing financing for several new luxury apartment properties in the Pacific Northwest.
- Represented lender in refinancing a rehabilitated condominium project while navigating pending litigation.
- Represented lender in refinancing a portfolio of apartment projects based in downtown Chicago under the Freddie Mac Small Balance Loan (SBL) Program.
William Mitchell College of Law, J.D.
University of St. Thomas, B.A., International Studies and French
Honors & Recognitions
Minnesota Rising Stars (2022)
News & Insights
- Midwest Real Estate News, 01.05.2023
- Moss & Barnett Announces New Shareholders: Bradley R. Armstrong, Linsday L. Case, Maggie H. Garborg, Peter J. Kaiser, John P. Kennedy, and Erik L. Romsaas03.02.2022
- Midwest Real Estate News, 12.01.2021
- Midwest Real Estate News, 10.01.2020
- Midwest Real Estate News, 09.19.2019
- Real Estate Finance Team Expands with Arrivals of Lindsay L. Case, Chelsy M. Jantsch, and John P. Kennedy02.28.2018
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Ramsey County Bar Association
- City of St. Paul Truth-in-Sale of Housing Board