Jeremy represents lenders in real estate financing and refinancing transactions. He focuses his practice in the firm’s national multifamily agency lending practice group, which closes and delivers loans secured by multifamily projects to secondary market investors such as Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. These are securitized lending transactions that involve a variety of deal structures, including tenancies in common, ground leases, land trusts, preferred equity, partial condominium, investment funds, and real estate investment trusts (REITs).
Jeremy has extensive experience representing lenders in real estate transactions – ranging from residential loans to commercial and multifamily developments – and advising on loan documents, title and survey issues, due diligence, and title insurance.
Moss & Barnett has become one of the leading law firms nationwide in representing Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae lenders. The firm has closed thousands of these loans in every product line, including:
- Portfolio and capital markets executions (CMEs)
- Credit facilities and other structured transactions
- Tax-exempt bond and other targeted affordable housing programs
- Seniors housing
- Manufactured housing
- Small-balance loans
These transactions span the spectrum of deal structures, including joint ventures, tenancies in common, ground leases, master leases, condominiums, phased developments, preferred equity, and investment funds. Jeremy maintains a database of analysis and documentation and has developed efficiencies to close a large volume of transactions.
Jeremy has played a key role in developing the firm’s national small-balance multifamily finance practice. Focusing on lender representation, Jeremy has worked with clients to develop efficiencies from origination of the loan through closing while simultaneously advising on loan documents, title and survey issues, organizational structures, and title insurance.
Commercial Real Estate Finance
Jeremy has considerable experience representing financial companies, bridge lenders, and banks in transactions involving multifamily projects. He routinely works on complex portfolio transactions where the collateral consists of many properties located in multiple jurisdictions.
Jeremy was instrumental in creating a new bridge loan program for a client that resulted in additional lending opportunities to provide loans to borrowers looking for short-term financing on small-balance properties.
Acquisitions, Sales, and Leasing
Jeremy’s counsel in this area includes negotiation and preparation of letters of intent, purchase agreements, leases, and closing documents, as well as examination of title and other legal due diligence. He regularly addresses matters involving use restrictions, easements, development agreements, and unique subdivisions and plats.
Jeremy also represents borrowers, providing insights from both sides of the table into negotiating loan documents, managing expectations, and addressing closing requirements.
- Providing ongoing representation of Freddie Mac Program Plus® lenders on the closing of CME loans secured by multifamily projects located throughout the United States; these have been pooled and securitized as various Series K Structured Pass-Through Certificates, or K Certificates.
- Providing ongoing representation of Freddie Mac Small Balance Loan lenders and Fannie Mae Small Mortgage Loan and Delegated Underwriting and Servicing (DUS®) Loan lenders on the closing of loans secured by multifamily projects located throughout the United States.
- Represented lender in $30.5 million acquisition of multifamily project that involved tenancy in common borrowers, a fractured condominium, tax abatement, and tax increment financing.
- Represented various lenders in approximately 200 residential, agricultural, and bare land acquisition and refinance transactions, from due diligence through closing of the transaction.
- Represented buyer in commercial property acquisition through contract for deed, including transfer of multiple commercial leases to buyer.
- Represented buyer in purchase of hair salon business, including drafting and negotiating subsequent commercial lease terms.
Northern Illinois University College of Law, J.D.; cum laude; staff member, Northern Illinois University Law Review
Winona State University, B.A.; cum laude
Classes / Seminars Taught
- "Freddie Mac Small Balance Loans: The Legal Side" – Client Training, Newport Beach, CA, May 9, 2017
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
News & Insights
- Minnesota State Bar Association