Craig is an experienced litigator who provides employment law advice and counsel to employers and employees. A former chair of the Minnesota State Bar Association’s (MSBA) Labor & Employment Law Section, Craig is certified by the MSBA as a specialist in labor and employment law.
Craig enjoys the challenge of working with employers to resolve legal issues as they arise. He defends employers against discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and whistleblower claims as well as other claims in court and administrative agency proceedings. Craig also has extensive experience in disputes over employee non-compete agreements and trade secrets issues, and he represents business executives in contract or compensation disputes and severance negotiations.
Craig takes pride in providing personal attention and quality service to each client. He has nearly three decades of experience representing clients in employment and business law matters in Minnesota state and federal courts.
Throughout his career, Craig has worked with both large and small employer clients to defend against a variety of employee claims in court. He specializes in defending employers against claims regarding discrimination, harassment, retaliation/whistleblower, and breach of contract. This work has resulted in many positive outcomes for employer clients, who appreciate Craig’s knowledgeable and practical approach to litigated disputes. Craig also advises employer clients about compliance issues and works with them on a day-to-day basis to avoid employment claims and lawsuits.
Another area of focus throughout Craig’s career has been representation of clients – both employers and employees – in non-compete and unfair competition cases.
Craig also has extensive experience representing employees in discrimination cases, including a number of major class action cases. For more than 20 years, Craig worked as a member of a small team of lawyers that obtained recoveries for clients in such cases that exceeded $100 million. Craig’s track record and experience on both sides of complex employment cases give him the ability to provide clients with a balanced perspective and well-informed advice.
In addition to his practice experience and knowledge of the law, Craig is known for his approachable style in working with both clients and adversaries.
- Successfully defended three business executives who resigned from employment with one nationwide employer and, shortly thereafter, began operating a competing office for a new employer. Successfully defeated former employer’s motion for an injunction to prevent his clients from working in their chosen field.
- Obtained victory in contested arbitration proceeding on behalf of business client concerning interpretation of a licensing agreement that was core to the client’s business.
- Obtained favorable settlement for a group of business executives who had been discharged in breach of employment and compensation agreements.
- Obtained defense victory after trial in Minnesota district court for employer on retaliation claims asserted by a former employee.
University of Iowa College of Law, J.D.; with distinction
Luther College, B.A.
Certifications / Specialties
- Certified Labor and Employment Law Specialist, Minnesota State Bar Association (2011-present)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
Honors & Recognitions
Minnesota Super Lawyers (2005-present)
Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent®
News & Insights
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Labor & Employment Law Section – Member; Section Governing Council (2006-2008); Section Chairperson (2007-2008)
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Craig recently completed a seven-year term of service (2010-2017) as a member of the board of directors of the Minnesota Justice Foundation, which works to promote the delivery of pro bono legal services by law students in the Twin Cities. Craig is also active in his church, where he has served for years as the chair of the Property Committee, and contributes his time as a volunteer lawyer at Hennepin County Housing Court.