Chelsy focuses her practice on negotiating, structuring, and closing complex real estate transactions, including multifamily and commercial properties. She represents institutional, bridge lenders, and life insurance lenders in all aspects of commercial real estate financing on a national scale, and also advises on the financing of multifamily housing projects and the sale of loans to secondary market investors such as Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
Prior to joining Moss & Barnett, Chelsy gained broad experience in examining real property title, survey, and title insurance matters while working at a title insurance company. In private practice, she also became well-versed in buyer and seller representation for the purchase and sale of real property as well as drafting and negotiating real estate leases. Chelsy is effective at identifying title issues for clients, aided by her extensive experience in title cleanup matters in both private practice and at a title company.
Commercial Real Estate Finance
Chelsy has considerable experience representing life insurance companies and banks in transactions involving office, industrial, hospitality, retail, and multifamily projects. She routinely works on complex portfolio transactions where the collateral consists of many properties located in multiple jurisdictions.
Chelsy also represents borrowers, providing insights from both sides of the table into negotiating loan documents, managing expectations, and addressing closing requirements.
Acquisitions, Sales, and Leasing
Chelsy’s counsel in this area includes the negotiation and preparation of letters of intent, purchase agreements, leases, and closing documents, as well as the examination of titles and other legal due diligence. She regularly addresses matters involving use restrictions, easements, development agreements, and unique subdivisions and plats, and is particularly skilled in title cleanup.
Chelsy has experience representing a fortune 500 company in their role as tenant throughout retail spaces across the country. She has represented various landlords and commercial real estate tenants in all aspects of leasing with experience in negotiating and drafting commercial leases. She also has experience representing buyers and sellers in the sale of commercial real estate, as well as borrower and lender representation in commercial real estate finance deals. She is adept at identifying title issues and in title clean up matters, survey review, and all aspects of purchase and sale transactions.
Moss & Barnett has become one of the leading law firms nationwide in representing Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae lenders. The firm has closed thousands of these loans in every product line, including:
- Portfolio and capital markets executions
- Credit facilities and other structured transactions
- Tax-exempt bond and other targeted affordable housing programs
- Seniors housing
- Manufactured housing
- Small-balance loans
These transactions span the spectrum of deal structures, including joint ventures, tenancies-in-common, ground leases, master leases, condominiums, phased developments, preferred equity, and investment funds. Chelsy maintains a database of analysis and documentation and has developed efficiencies to close a large volume of transactions. She has broad experience in both Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae loan transactions, including negotiating loan documents, negotiating title insurance policies, and reviewing various due diligence.
- Represented life insurance company lender in a $21.5 million loan involving industrial sites to multiple borrowers across seven locations and three states.
- Represented lender in complex ground leasehold financing transaction.
- Served as national office leasing counsel to a Fortune 50 company.
William Mitchell College of Law, J.D.; Law and Business Certificate; president, Real Estate Law Society; Rosalie Wahl Moot Court; merit-based scholarship recipient
University of Minnesota Twin Cities, B.A., Political Science and Sociology of Law, Criminology, and Deviance; dean’s list; member, Order of Omega and Rho Lambda honor societies
News & Insights
- Moss & Barnett Advocate (Winter 2023 edition), 03.21.2023
- Moss & Barnett Announces New Shareholders: Michael T. Etmund, Chelsy M. Jantsch, Mary Frances Price, and Jeffrey A. Wieland02.22.2023
- Midwest Real Estate News, 01.05.2023
- Midwest Real Estate News, 12.01.2021
- Midwest Real Estate News, 10.01.2020
- Moss & Barnett Advocate (Fall 2019 edition), 12.16.2019
- Midwest Real Estate News, 09.19.2019
- Real Estate Finance Team Expands with Arrivals of Lindsay L. Case, Chelsy M. Jantsch, and John P. Kennedy02.28.2018
- Multifamily Financing with Freddie Mac: Legal BasicsOnline Client Presentation, 04.20.2023
- Understanding Easements, Licenses, and Restrictive Covenants in Minnesota, Minnesota CLE Seminar Live In-Person Seminar and Online Replay, Minnesota CLE Conference Center, 600 Nicollet Mall, Suite 370, Minneapolis, MN 55402, 09.13.2022
- Diversity and Inclusion in Real Estate Practice – Focus on the Real Property Section’s Diversity PlanThe 2019 Real Estate Institute, Saint Paul RiverCentre, St. Paul, MN, 10.31.2019
- Moss & Barnett Advocate (Winter 2021 edition), 02.25.2021
- Minnesota State Bar Association, 08.05.2016
- Minnesota State Bar Association – Real Property Law Section
- Hennepin County Bar Association