For more than 30 years, the focus of trial lawyer Thomas J. Shroyer has been to prevail in complex litigation and achieve favorable results for his clients. He represents national corporations, businesses in the Midwest, and professionals. Tom also guides clients in preventing future liability exposure.
Tom chairs Moss & Barnett's nationally acclaimed accountant law team. The firm was named a Tier One National "Best Law Firm" in Professional Malpractice Law-Defendants by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® in 2013 (this practice area was removed from the national rankings in 2014), and Tom was selected as the Best Lawyers' Minneapolis Professional Malpractice Law – Defendants “Lawyer of the Year” for 2014 and 2016.
Tom has extensive experience defending accountants facing claims of professional malpractice in actions throughout the nation. He protects the livelihoods and reputations of CPAs and has defeated numerous complex claims alleging improprieties in financial audits, disclosure statements, conflicts of interest, negligence, and other wrongdoings. Tom is the author of a well-regarded treatise in this area of law, Accountant Liability, and writes extensively on the topic of professional liability.
In addition, he defends legal malpractice claims for attorneys and professional liability actions against architects and engineers, real estate professionals, and insurance agents.
His commercial litigation achievements span decades and a wide range of state and federal courtrooms, including bankruptcy and tax courts and other dispute resolution venues. Tom’s major areas of litigation include shareholder rights, class actions, contracts, insurance, and intellectual property.
Tom has led Moss & Barnett as managing partner since 2000. As a leader in the legal profession, Tom is active in professional associations and speaks on panel programs and seminars. He became a familiar voice to the 30,000 weekly listeners of “Minnesota Law,” an interview and call-in radio program he hosted from 2008-2012 on WCCO Radio, the CBS affiliate in Minneapolis. Tom is listed in Minnesota Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers®, and he serves as a director of The Fund for the Legal Aid Society.
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
Honors & Recognition
- "The Best Lawyers in America" – "Lawyer of the Year," Professional Malpractice Law – Defendants, Minneapolis, 2014 and 2016
- "The Best Lawyers in America," 2005-Present
- "Minnesota Super Lawyers," 2003-Present
- America's Top 100 Attorneys® – Lifetime Achievement Selection
- Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants – "Friend of the Profession Award," 2008
- John F. Kennedy High School – "Outstanding Alumnus Award," 1994
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
- University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, MN, J.D., cum laude; National Moot Court Team - Second Place, Eighth Circuit; American College of Trial Lawyers Medal for Excellence in Advocacy
- University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, Minneapolis, MN, B.A., Phi Beta Kappa
- The Fund for the Legal Aid Society – Director, 2009-Present
- Courage Center Foundation – Trustee and Board Chair, 2002-2008
- University of Minnesota Alumni Association – Advocacy Committee Member, 2003-2008
- Ultra-long-distance road bike riding and travel