Shannon Heim advises telecom and energy companies on a full range of regulatory issues. She also advises companies, cooperatives, and trade associations on the negotiation of commercial contracts involving complex and contentious issues of business and law.
Broadband providers. Shannon has a national practice counseling broadband provider co-ops and rural electric cooperatives which provide broadband service. She advises on a full range of regulatory and compliance issues – including the protection of customer proprietary network information (CPNI) – and has represented her clients before both state and federal regulatory bodies and courts. In addition, she advises broadband providers on mergers and acquisitions, carrier agreements, interconnection agreements, space and power agreements, tribal law issues, indefeasible right of use (IRU) agreements, and related legal and business issues.
Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity. Shannon advises businesses on data protection, privacy and cybersecurity issues, including information security, risk assessment, response planning, and asset inventories as well as liability and regulatory compliance issues.
Alaska. Shannon has deep experience counseling Alaska companies and companies exploring business opportunities in Alaska.
Professional leadership. Shannon was appointed by Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton to the Governor's Task Force on Broadband on June 1, 2015. The Task Force develops policies to promote the expansion of broadband access throughout Minnesota. It is responsible for developing an action plan to identify and correct disparities in access and adoption of broadband in all Minnesota communities, with the goal of ensuring that homes, schools, hospitals, and businesses have access to the technology and information resources they need.
- Federal Communications Bar Association – Member
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Communications Law Section – Chair, 2012-Present; Secretary, 2011-2012; Secretary, 2004-2005
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Public Utilities Law Section – Member
- Minnesota Telecom Alliance – Associate Member
- Alaska State Bar Association, Administrative Law Section – Executive Committee Member
Honors & Recognition
- Appointed to Minnesota Task Force on Broadband by Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton, 2015
- MSBA North Star Lawyer, 2012-2014
Certifications / Specialties
- Cybersecurity and Privacy Law Certificate – Mitchell Hamline School of Law
- The Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law, Washington, D.C., J.D., cum laude; "CommLaw Conspectus: Journal of Communications Law and Policy," Senior Articles Editor; Institute of Communications Law, Member
- University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, M.A., Journalism and Mass Communications
- University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, B.A.
- Domestic Abuse Project – Pro Bono Counsel, 2015-Present; Member of Board of Directors, 2007-2014; Chair, 2011
- WATCH Pro Bono Counsel, 2015-Present