Shannon Heim focuses her practice on the needs of companies doing business in the telecommunications and energy industries. She has advised telecom and energy companies on a full range of regulatory issues and has represented her clients before both state and federal regulatory bodies and courts. Shannon also advises companies, cooperatives, and trade associations on the negotiation of commercial contracts involving complex and contentious issues of business and law.
Shannon provides extensive counseling to Alaska companies and companies exploring business opportunities in Alaska.
Shannon was appointed by Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton to the Governor's Task Force on Broadband on June 1, 2015. The Task Force develops policies to promote the expansion of broadband access throughout Minnesota. It is responsible for developing an action plan to identify and correct disparities in access and adoption of broadband in all Minnesota communities, with the goal of ensuring that homes, schools, hospitals, and businesses have access to the technology and information resources they need.
- Federal Communications Bar Association – Member
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Communications Law Section – Chair, 2012-Present; Secretary, 2011-2012; Secretary, 2004-2005
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Public Utilities Law Section – Member
- Alaska State Bar Association, Administrative Law Section – Executive Committee Member
Honors & Recognition
- Appointed to Minnesota Task Force on Broadband by Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton, 2015
- MSBA North Star Lawyer, 2012-2014
- The Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law, Washington, D.C., J.D., cum laude; "CommLaw Conspectus: Journal of Communications Law and Policy," Senior Articles Editor; Institute of Communications Law, Member
- University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, M.A., Journalism and Mass Communications
- University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, B.A.
- Domestic Abuse Project – Pro Bono Counsel, 2015-Present; Member of Board of Directors, 2007-2014; Chair, 2011
- WATCH Pro Bono Counsel, 2015-Present