In his more than 30-year legal practice advising in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, business law, and estate planning, Richard J. Kelber has managed a full range of corporate law issues and deals. These include acquisitions and dispositions, reorganizations, joint ventures, partnerships, and a variety of financing transactions, business agreements, and corporate law matters.
Rick is known in the transactions community for his analytical, drafting, and negotiating skills in major transactions, and his deal list includes diverse transactions ranging from under $1 million to $1.2 billion. The issues presented by the transactions vary, but they include accounting, tax, environmental issues, intellectual property, and liability insurance.
In addition, Rick assists business owners and individuals in developing estate and business succession plans to address their business, personal, and family objectives. He integrates his clients’ business planning and estate planning goals in order to meet the comprehensive needs of business owners.
Professional Background and Leadership
Prior to his private practice, Rick served as vice president and general counsel to a substantial group of privately held companies. In that capacity, banking, insurance, and tax departments reported to him, as well as acquisitions, and he handled other legal matters, including co-chairing the patent committee. He uses that insider’s view in advising clients and integrating legal advice with accounting, finance, insurance, benefits, personnel, and environmental affairs.
Rick has repeatedly been listed in Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers®. He has served extended terms on Moss & Barnett’s board of directors and previously served as chair of the firm’s commercial department. Rick sits on the Minnesota State Bar Association committee that advises the legislature on technical revisions to the corporate law statute.
- Banking and Commercial Transactions
- Business Law
- Employment Law
- Mergers, Acquisitions, and Corporate Finance
- Wealth Preservation and Estate Planning
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association – 302A Committee, Corporate Counsel Section
- Hennepin County Bar Association
Honors & Recognition
- "The Best Lawyers in America," 2008-Present
- "Minnesota Super Lawyers," 2003-2007
- Harvard Law School, Cambridge, MA, J.D., magna cum laude
- University of Minnesota, B.S., Phi Beta Kappa
Classes / Seminars Taught
- “UCC Issues in Asset Acquisitions” – Continuing Legal Education
- “Mergers & Acquisitions” – Minnesota Institute of Legal Education, May 2003