Nick Kaster practices in the areas of estate planning, wealth preservation, and business law. As counsel to individuals, business owners, and their families, Nick relies on his experience in multiple disciplines to assist clients with their family, business, and philanthropic concerns.
Nick’s estate planning practice is centered on advising individuals and families on estate planning, trust and estate administration and settlement, wealth transfer, and philanthropy. He works closely with his clients to determine their objectives and then designs and implements the appropriate plan to achieve those objectives. More >
Nick works with clients in a wide range of industries and advises them on a variety of areas. He counsels companies in general corporate legal matters, including acquisitions, mergers, shareholder relations, succession planning, contract negotiation, governance, and executive compensation. He also advises clients on numerous tax issues, including corporate restructurings, limited liability companies, employment tax, and tax controversy work. In addition, he advises closely held businesses on general business issues, including choice of entity issues, governance, and other ongoing business issues. More >
Nick places great importance on client service and provides comprehensive, efficient, and cost-effective solutions for his clients' legal challenges.
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association Tax Section – Member
- Hennepin County Bar Association
Honors & Recognition
- "Minnesota Super Lawyers" – “Rising Stars,” 2014
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- William Mitchell College of Law, St. Paul, MN, J.D., cum laude
- DePauw University, Greencastle, IN, B.A.
Classes / Seminars Taught
- "Estate Planning for Small Business Owners – Ethical Issues," Ramsey County Bar Association
- "Estate Planning for Owners of Closely-Held Businesses," Hennepin County Bar Association
- "Structural and Operational Considerations for Minnesota LLC's," Ramsey County Bar Association
- "Cost Segregation for Non-Accountants," Certified Commercial Investment Member Minnesota-Dakotas Chapter
- "Tax Consequences of Misclassifying Workers – Federal and State Voluntary Programs to Reduce Tax Liability," Ramsey County Bar Association
- "Minnesota Sales Tax: Concepts and Application," Ramsey County Bar Association
- Treasurer, Lake Camelot Estate Homeowners Association
- Member, Osseo Area Schools, Enrollment and Capacity Task Force
- Spending time with family and friends, cooking, and reading.