Corporate and commercial transactions are the primary focus for Michael R. Nixt. A certified public accountant (inactive), Mike has previous business experience with two international public accounting firms, a Fortune 100 corporation, and a multistate franchising company, which enables him to provide a practical, problem-solving approach.
He counsels clients regarding the myriad legal issues encountered in structuring, negotiating, and documenting both complex and routine business transactions. Areas of his practice include:
- Commercial transactions, strategy, and structure
- Federal and state income tax analysis
- General corporate and commercial law, including corporate finance
- Joint ventures and strategic alliances
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Reorganization and restructuring
Mike provides legal advice and representation to a broad and diverse group of business clients across a wide range of representative matters, from stock sales, mergers, and joint ventures to closing critical funding deals and creating new opportunities through licensing agreements.
His clients’ industry sectors include manufacturing, merchandising, heavy equipment construction and demolition, energy transmission and distribution, telecommunications, transportation, real estate development, medical device billing and collections, and commodities brokerage and futures operations. Mike’s experience in the area of professional services includes the legal, accounting, medical, dental, and veterinary fields.
As part of his professional and civic participation, Mike has served the City of Ramsey since 1998 as its Chairman of Planning and Zoning and as Chairman of the Board of Adjustments.
Mike is regularly invited to speak at legal and professional education seminars and is a member of several bar associations as well as the American Institute of CPAs and Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants.
- Business Law
- Mergers, Acquisitions, and Corporate Finance
- Real Estate
- Regulated Industries
- Wealth Preservation and Estate Planning
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- American Institute of CPAs
- Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants
- William Mitchell College of Law, St. Paul, MN, J.D., cum laude
- Minnesota State University Mankato, Mankato, MN, B.S., cum laude
Classes / Seminars Taught
- "Strategic Partnering - Exit Strategies, Concepts and Procedures" – National Telephone Cooperative Association's 2006 National Convention
- "Financial Statements - The Roadmap to an Acquisition" – Minnesota Institute of Legal Education
- "How Can I Be Liable, I Bought Only the Assets? Successor Liability in Asset Acquisitions" – Hennepin County Bar Association
- "Buy-Sell Agreements, an Overview" – Hennepin County Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Business, Banking and Finance Section, Lecturer at programs