As a litigator and trial attorney, Matthew P. Kostolnik successfully defends and prosecutes civil claims at all stages of litigation. He advises businesses and individuals in a variety of matters, including litigation risks and opportunities, business disputes and negotiations, employment matters, insurance issues, and tort claims. His trial background includes trying nine cases to conclusion before a jury, as well as several bench trials.
Matt has also briefed and argued before the Minnesota Supreme Court and the Minnesota Court of Appeals. His litigation cases frequently require him to manage complex procedural and legal matters involving injunctions/restraining orders, dispositive and non-dispositive motions, class actions, alternative dispute resolution, and administrative hearings.
Known among his legal peers as collegial and responsive, he is frequently relied upon as local counsel for clients with cases venued in the state and federal courts of Minnesota. Matt has been listed by Minnesota Super Lawyers as a “Rising Star” for many years.
- Federal Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Amdahl Inn of Court
Honors & Recognition
- "Minnesota Super Lawyers" – "Rising Stars," 2005-2009, 2011-2012
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, MN, J.D., cum laude
- St. John's University, Collegeville, MN, B.A., cum laude
Classes / Seminars Taught
- “Minnesota State District Court Civil Practice Deskbook” – MNSBA Continuing Legal Education, March 26, 2009
- “Regulatory Review/Certified Hazardous Materials Management” – Academy of Certified Hazardous Materials Managers, North Star Chapter
- FBI Citizens’ Academy Alumni Association
- Eagle Brook Church – Volunteer
- Shoreview Parks and Recreation – Volunteer
- The Fund for the Legal Aid Society – One Hour of Sharing Associates Campaign, Former Solicitor