Mark Peterson is a business attorney and a litigator experienced in complex business disputes, regulatory investigations, and compliance matters.
He regularly counsels business owners with all phases of operations, including:
- Entity formation, startup, and governance
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Licensing and compliance matters
- Negotiation and documentation of transactions
- Real estate and leasing transactions
His industry experience is diverse, covering such areas as aircraft services, analytical laboratories, collection agencies, construction products and testing, entertainment, finance, manufacturing, medical devices, professional services, property development, telecommunications, and transportation.
Litigation Counsel from Minnesota State Court to U.S. Supreme Court
In addition to his counseling role, Mark assists clients in business litigation and in contested regulatory matters. He has extensive experience representing clients in investigative and enforcement actions brought by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), Federal Trade Commission (FTC), and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), as well as by state attorneys general and state administrative agencies.
In 1992-1993, Mark was one of the principal attorneys in Growe v. Emison, 507 U.S. 25 (1993), which involved simultaneous state and federal court proceedings over the highly contentious issue of redistricting Minnesota’s legislative and congressional districts, a matter ultimately argued before the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Business Law
- Mergers, Acquisitions, and Corporate Finance
- Creditors' Remedies and Bankruptcy
- Real Estate
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel – Former Member
Honors & Recognition
- "Minnesota Law & Politics" – “Super Lawyers," multiple years for commercial litigation
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, MN, J.D.
- St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN, B.A., magna cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa; Golden Key Honor Society
Classes / Seminars Taught
- William Mitchell College of Law – Former Adjunct Professor
- Continuing Legal Education presentations
- Edina Men's Chorus
- Edina Choir Boosters
- Humor to Fight the Tumor Foundation
- Christ Presbyterian Church – Elder
- YMCA Southdale Branch – Former Member of Board of Management
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Minnesota Chapter – Former Member of Board of Directors, recognized as Volunteer of the Year