In his national practice dedicated to the debt industry and creditors’ remedies, John Rossman shaped debt collection law in numerous landmark cases that preserved and expanded the rights of collection agencies, debt buyers, mortgage lenders, creditors, and fellow attorneys.
Additionally, John helps creditors navigate the Bankruptcy Code and courts, and represents them to secure payments and collateral, make determinations for future services, and minimize preference liability. He is chairperson of Moss & Barnett’s creditors’ remedies and bankruptcy team.
Licensed to practice in 15 courts and jurisdictions across the country, John regularly serves as counsel nationwide, both as a lead attorney and as a learned strategist for local counsel. He advises and counsels debt buyers and collection agency clients on regulatory compliance, defends them in claims and litigation, and advises them on best practices to prevent legal action.
National Authority on Debt Collection and Regulatory Compliance
John is a prominent commentator and thought leader on the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), and state regulatory laws.
In his counsel to many of the nation’s leading collection agencies and debt buyers, John works collaboratively with clients on developing an efficient and cohesive national legal strategy. He offers proprietary knowledge of proven litigation tactics and opposing counsels’ strategies, a competitive advantage he has built during his more than two decades of counsel in the collection and debt industry.
John is on the steering committee of the Consumer Relations Consortium (CRC), a national organization of larger market participant collection agencies formed by industry executives who believe that a reasonable and knowledgeable voice is needed to address both issues and solutions. In his role with the CRC, John meets quarterly in Washington, D.C., with key federal regulators and consumer groups to effect positive change for all parties.
John offers analysis and insights to credit collection groups, including DBA International and ACA International, and speaks at annual conferences, retreats, and programs. John serves as the ACA International Members’ Attorney Program (MAP) Compliance Chair for the State of Minnesota for 2013-2015.
Below is a photo of attorney John Rossman (seated far right) participating in a panel discussion at the October 2015 InsideARM First Party Outsourcing Summit. Also pictured is Tom Pahl (seated next to Mr. Rossman), Managing Regulatory Counsel, Office of Regulations, at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau; and Christopher Koegel (seated far left), Assistant Director, Division of Financial Practices, at the Federal Trade Commission. Photo reproduced with permission from InsideARM©.
The Debt Collection Drill
In “The Debt Collection Drill,” a popular podcast and related blog John founded and co-hosts, which is distributed by InsideArm.com, he provides a resource for ongoing intelligence for debt professionals seeking detailed tactics on emerging issues in the credit industry. John discusses many of the same challenges and solutions he typically addresses and manages for clients, including:
- Strategies for avoiding TCPA lawsuits
- Preventing and defeating FDCPA claims
- Seeking sanctions in FDCPA cases
- Costly mistakes debt collectors should avoid
- Debt collectors’ strategies for interacting with consumer attorneys
- Effective collection agency crisis responses
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- The Association of Credit and Collection Professionals (ACA International) – Member's Attorney Program (MAP), Minnesota State Compliance Chairperson
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the District of North Dakota
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- William Mitchell College of Law, St. Paul, MN, J.D., cum laude
- Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI, B.A., Journalism