Dave Cherner counsels creditors, debt buyers, collection law firms, collection agencies, and other businesses engaged in accounts receivable management on compliance with federal, state, and local credit and collection laws, as well as compliance and risk management strategy.
Credit and Collection Law and Compliance
Dave is an industry leader in the credit, collection, and receivable management industry.
As corporate counsel and director of state government affairs for ACA International, the Association of Credit and Collection Professionals, he participated in the conception, drafting, and implementation of various state and local laws and regulations.
Dave's experience as the chief compliance officer for a nationwide accounts receivable management company gives him deep knowledge of the operational issues facing companies in this sector.
In addition to his participation in various industry associations, Dave is on the steering committee of the Consumer Relations Consortium (CRC), a national organization of collection agencies which engages with regulators and consumer advocacy groups to address issues and develop solutions to challenges in the credit, collection, and receivable management industry.
Dave counsels clients on a full range of federal, state, and local consumer financial services laws and matters, including:
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA)
- Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA)
- Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA)
- Unfair, Deceptive, Abusive Acts & Practices (UDAAP)
- Electronic Funds Transfer Act (EFTA) and Regulation E
- Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA)
- Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA) and Regulation B
- Dodd- Frank
- Rulemakings and guidance and applicable federal guidance on third-party risk management
- State and local collection, data security/privacy, and other financial services laws and regulations
Dave is a frequent speaker on compliance, legal, and risk management issues affecting the industry.
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, WI, J.D.
- Lawrence University, Appleton, WI, B.A., Economics
- Telecommunications Advisory Committee, City of Apple Valley, MN – Committee Member (2017-Present)
- Economic Development Commission, City of Burnsville, MN – Commissioner (2016-Present)
- Planning Commission, City of Burnsville, MN – Commissioner (2011-2012)