A veteran business law counselor and trusted estate planning legal advisor, Dave F. Senger represents individuals and businesses to negotiate and structure tax-friendly, strategically significant commercial transactions and to plan the orderly transfer of their assets across generations. He works with numerous clients who count their family businesses as their most valuable assets. Within Moss & Barnett, Dave leads the wealth preservation and estate planning team and served as the firm's chairman of the board from 1993-2015.
Dave has counseled Minnesota business owners and high net worth individuals for the past 30 years in such areas as:
- Business law
- Business succession planning
- Entity formation and ongoing operational counsel
- Financing, sales, and acquisitions
- Retention of key employees
- Complex estate planning
- Estate preservation
- Tax planning
Dave has substantial experience guiding clients through major business opportunities and transactions, including acquisitions, dispositions, and mergers, across a wide range of industries. He is known as a persuasive negotiator who adds value through tax-driven, risk-reducing, and creative approaches to complex deals and financings.
When working with closely held and family businesses, Dave identifies his clients’ personal and business needs and objectives. He uses their goals as a guidepost to help transition their businesses and estates upon retirement, death, or other events, while simultaneously minimizing estate taxes and reducing liability exposure.
Dave’s deeply instilled work ethic is evident in his management of clients’ most personal legal concerns.
As one of nine children growing up on a family farm in North Dakota, Dave learned the benefits of hard work, mutual respect, and clear communication. He draws upon these values when counseling clients toward their business and estate planning goals.
Listed since 2005 by Minnesota Super Lawyers, Dave was also included by its predecessor publication, Minnesota Law & Politics, in its “Top 40 Business & Commercial Transaction Law Super Lawyers.”
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
Honors & Recognition
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, 2005-Present
- Minnesota Law & Politics – "Top 40 Business & Commercial Transaction Law Super Lawyers"
- Five-Star Wealth Manager, 2009-2013
Certifications / Specialties
- Certified Public Accountant, North Dakota
- North Dakota
- University of North Dakota School of Law, Grand Forks, ND, J.D., with distinction
- University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND, B.S.B.A., summa cum laude