Charles Jones provides skilled, discerning, and ethical representation to professionals and companies. He is a member of Moss & Barnett’s nationally acclaimed accountant law and litigation teams and focuses his practice on defending malpractice claims against accountants and attorneys, as well as other professional liability actions against insurance agents and brokers, brokerage firms, stockbrokers, and financial advisors. Charles also advises CPAs and attorneys in Minnesota and throughout the country in managing and controlling risk. He also represents insurance companies in a wide range of insurance coverage issues.
Charles’ litigation achievements span a wide range of state and federal courtrooms. He has handled cases in 28 state and federal jurisdictions throughout the United States and is currently licensed to practice in the state courts of Minnesota, North Dakota, and Wisconsin. In all of his cases, Charles uses his wide variety of experience to obtain the best possible results for his clients, while also helping them understand the complexities and risks associated with the litigation process.
Charles has been listed in Minnesota Super Lawyers in the area of professional liability defense since 2014, and he was selected as a “Leading Attorney” in a statewide survey conducted by the American Research Institute. Before joining Moss & Barnett, Charles was the chair of the professional liability practice group of a Top 25 Minnesota law firm, and he was the Associate General Counsel for a Minnesota-based software development and consulting company where he handled all lawsuits for the company and advised senior officers and managers on a wide range of legal and business issues.
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Minnesota Supreme Court, Fourth Judicial District Ethics Committee – Member
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society, Minnesota Chapter – Past Vice President
Honors & Recognition
- Minnesota Super Lawyers – "Super Lawyers," 2014-Present; "Rising Stars," 2001
- North Dakota
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth District
- University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, MN, J.D., cum laude
- Carleton College, Northfield, MN, B.A., cum laude
Classes / Seminars Taught
- Frequent speaker on limiting liability risk and professional ethics
- Lessons from the Professional Liability Front: Claims Can Happen to You (December 2017)
- Advanced Expert Witness Tactics, National Business Institute (November 2009 and October 2008))
- Lawyer's Risk Control: Building a Solid Foundation (August 2009)
- Malpractice Risks for CPAs: Navigating the New Frontier (August 2009)
- Employment Practices Liability, Professional Liability Underwriting Society (September 2008)
- Friends of FANA, Minnesota – President (2008-2011)
- Minnesota Justice Foundation – President, Board of Directors (1993-1997)
Outside the office, Charles enjoys spending time with his family, running, volunteering, and coaching baseball. He is the past president of the Board of Directors of Friends of FANA, Minnesota, a non-profit organization established to provide support and assistance for the FANA orphanage in Bogota, Colombia, and to families who have adopted from FANA.