A highly experienced communications and technology law attorney, Brian T. Grogan provides counsel on regulatory compliance and transactional opportunities in an area of law marked by innovation and continually evolving laws and regulations.
Brian represents municipal entities across the nation, established companies, new businesses, and trade associations in their complex contract negotiations and regulatory proceedings. Among his higher-profile achievements are serving as communications law counsel to the Cities of Seattle and Chicago and serving as the lead outside counsel that drafted the municipal Wi-Fi contract for the City of Minneapolis that resulted in Wi-Fi service for all 59 square miles of the City. Brian also serves on Moss & Barnett’s board of directors and is chairperson of the communications and technology law teams.
Communications Law Counsel to Local Government
Representing local units of government throughout the country on communications issues is a major practice focus for Brian. His counsel to more than 250 municipalities in 26 states during the past two decades includes advising on communications regulations, policy, and related federal and state regulatory issues. More >
Technology Law Counsel
Brian also advises and represents broadband service providers, content providers, and enhanced service providers in contract negotiations, sales and marketing disputes, CAN-SPAM compliance, billing, and tax issues. In the broader area of technology, Brian works with businesses that make or use technology as part of their core operations, including hardware and software vendors, publishers, and principals in third-party resale agreements. He represents clients in information technology services transactions and the purchase, sale, and licensing of technology, as well as in technology-related disputes. More >
Known as a respectful and determined advisor, negotiator, and problem solver, Brian actively participates in communication and technology organizations. This includes numerous speaking engagements before the National Association of Telecommunications Officers and Advisors and the International Municipal Lawyers Association. He is the past chairperson of the Communications Law Section of the Minnesota State Bar Association.
- Regulated Industries
- Business Law
- Mergers, Acquisitions, and Corporate Finance
- American Bar Association – Forum Committee on Communications Law
- International Municipal Lawyers Association (IMLA) – Contracts, Franchises, and Technology Section
- National Association of Telecommunications Officers and Advisors – 1990-Present
- Minnesota State Bar Association – Communications Law Section, Past Chairperson
- Minnesota Telecom Alliance – Associate Member
Honors & Recognition
- AV Preeminent® Martindale-Hubbell Rating, 2000-Present
- William Mitchell College of Law, St. Paul, MN, J.D., "William Mitchell Law Review," Editor
- Creighton University, Omaha, NE, B.A., Mathematics