Aaron Dean’s 20-year legal career spans all facets of the construction industry. He has a contractor side construction law practice, representing general contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers. His areas of specialization include:
- Defending construction defect claims.
- Assisting to close out contracts.
- Prosecuting payment claims via change orders, claims, and statutory claims for mechanic’s liens, payment bonds, and prompt payment.
- Contract drafting and negotiations for contractors.
- Obtaining insurance coverage for contractors.
- Bidding disputes and bid mistakes.
- Bid protests on government contracts, both competitively bid projects and “Best Value” projects.
- Regulatory compliance for contractors, including handling investigations by the federal and state governments.
- Defending OSHA citations, defending MSHA citations, defending EPA citations, defending Department of Health citations, defending citations/fines issued by other governmental regulators.
- Defending or pursuing False Claims Act claims.
- DBE enforcement.
Aaron has handled more than 100 OSHA investigations and cases for contractors in Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, and Colorado.
In his role as legal advisor, Aaron has formed long-term partnerships with contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, owners, design professionals, and lenders. He is also a sought-after construction industry thought leader, speaking frequently at key trade events on timely construction topics and serving as an instructor for national and local contractor trade groups.
Prior to practicing law, Aaron was a law clerk for the Honorable David S. Doty and the Honorable James M. Rosenbaum, both U.S. District Court Judges for the District of Minnesota.
- Minnesota Subcontractors Association – President, 2014-2016; Member of Government Affairs Committee, 2014-2015; Vice President, 2013-2014; Treasurer, 2012-2013; Board Member, 2008-2015.
- Construction Financial Management Association – Member of Board of Directors, 2013-2016
- Associated General Contractors of Minnesota – Instructor of Supervisory Training Program, 2014-2015
- Associated Builders & Contractors, Inc. of Minnesota, Minnesota/North Dakota Chapter – Safety Committee Member, 2013-2015
- SMARCA of Minnesota North & South Dakota Inc.
- Minnesota Asphalt Pavement Association
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association – Construction Law Section Council Member, 2013-2016; Chair, 2011-2012; Vice-Chair, 2010-2011; Treasurer, 2009-2010; Secretary, 2008-2009
- ABA Forum on the Construction Industry
- Diversity Law Institute – Member, 2017-Present
- Trial Law Institute – Member, 2017-Present
Honors & Recognition
- Construction Lawyers of America – Fellow, 2017
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, 2003-2006, 2008-Present
- North Dakota
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- William Mitchell College of Law, St. Paul, MN, J.D., summa cum laude
- Lafayette College, Easton, PA, B.A.
- American Subcontractors Association, Minnesota Board – Past Board Member, 2008-2012
- William Mitchell College of Law Alumni Board, 2003-2008